Thursday, September 24, 2009

Home

It's been unbelievable how the friends and family have mobilized for helping us with this move. In a matter of days we are 90% done with packing up the house. My energy hasn't been so great lately, but all I have to do is sit on a comfy chair while my whole house is whisked in front of me for approval/denial, then tucked into a box, labeled, and sent down to the garage. It has been an organized revolving door of friends and family for the past 48 hours. It's been a chance to see you all, catch up a bit, and most importantly just be in your presence to absorb your energy. I'm going to miss that energy so much! Ever since the first time I left Hawaii 15 years ago I have been struggling with my heart split between two places. I love my home, but I have also found "home" in the hearts of you all here in the mainland. When I am with you, I am home.

The empty house is a strange feeling. I feel more like a visitor now than a resident. I've already said my goodbyes to some people, given last hugs, looked into eyes for the last time. I try to stay focused on knowing that goodbyes aren't final, but that is not a promise anyone can make. None of us know what tomorrow holds, all we have, and all that we can 100% count on is today. Right now. This very moment.

For the better part of my life I have tried to figure out the difference between Fate and Destiny. My current definition (it changes) is that Fate is met on the path you carve to get to the top of the mountain. Destiny is simply the top of the mountain. It is easy to get lost in the choices we have to carve our path in life, but in the end the finish line will still be the same destination. Whether in Hawaii, or SF, or Denver, or Milwaukee, or Seattle, the friendships we have made and the love that we have shared will never change and will never go away.

love,
Denise