Sunday, September 27, 2009

aloha

Aloha means a lot of things, goodbye, hello, I love you, welcome, kindness, forgiveness...I guess you could say it means everything. It is 5am Sunday morning. As most of you know I am not a morning person, (never have been) but I've been up since 3am just watching the clock and not believing that in a few hours I'll be boarding a plane that will end my 5 years as a San Francisco resident.

When I first moved here I used to wake up in the middle of the night and come out to the windows overlooking the ocean. Back then I couldn't believe I had actually moved from Hawaii, and I didn't know how I was ever going to feel like I fit in here. Somewhere between meeting Brian and now I stopped thinking about fitting in - I was a part of life here. It just kinda happened.

Now I've been up for the last 2 hours staring out the windows overlooking the ocean - it's so quiet here in the wee hours of the morning. You would never know this was part of a bustling city. I remember thinking that this place was so foreign and I had so much work to do to get to know everything. Now I'm thinking about all the people and places I have gotten to know so well, and how much I'm going to miss being able to go to them any time I want. Change is exciting, change is invigorating, but change is also scary and leaves unanswered questions that only time can answer.

I couldn't have asked for a better day yesterday. The weather was probably one of the nicest San Francisco days ever, blue skies and 80 degree weather while hanging out in SF's quintessential Golden Gate Park. It was pure joy to look around at so many people who have made an impact on my life here. I love all of you from the bottom of my heart, and everywhere I looked yesterday I saw the most beautiful people in the world. It was a good day wasn't it? As I looked into each of your eyes my heart spoke to me, she said not to worry, you will see them again. Time and space will not change love.

I have been listening to my heart lately - it's not always easy with the noise of life, but I've been hearing her a little more clearly lately. She is happy. There is so much kindness and joy in this world that I have been able to appreciate. When your world is rocked at a young age with the news of a serious anything, it forces you to reflect on the important things in life. That reflecting never really stops, and the result is you live all of your days savoring each moment to it's absolute fullest, never missing a dew drop of life. Seeing and living life in this light is blessing, and it does come at a cost. It is all worth it if I am able to share the way I see the world with all of you. Love, live, forgive, and smile. That's all there is to it.

So I say Aloha to you San Francisco, until we meet again. I will be forever changed.

love,
Denise