Friday, September 18, 2009
things are just things
about half the house is packed up. We have a whole team of friends coming over throughout the week next week to finish up. I'm having a little anxiety that we are taking too much stuff. My mom's house is in need of a major makeover, and I don't need to be bringing in all kinds of winter things to add to the clutter...but I love my boots and jackets! It's hard to let them go. In my head it's also about letting go of ever needing them again. I don't know what the future holds, but tossing out my carefully acquired winter clothes feels like I am tossing out the possibility of living in a cooler climate again.
BUT, things are things. They can be bought, sold, lost, stolen, found, given, taken...things are not life. I'm sure when it comes time I'll be able to let go of the things that have served me well and can now move on to serve someone else well. It's funny how attached to things you can become. It's almost disabling. I think about how much money I have spent on things in the past. I used to have a real problem! I was dressing up my body to cover my soul. I still like to look nice, but it's not something I'll ever obsess over again.
That all being said I think I'll be ready next week to really begin purging our belongings. It will feel good to be lighter and cleansed.
love,
Denise
