Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Private Beach
Today started out to be a normal day. Physical therapy in the morning, radiation to follow. Brian had gone to our local surf break last night at midnight to meet up with Noa and Alika to try and catch some Ulua. They had their fishing poles, couple cases beer, a little hibachi, tents, cots, boards...everything but da kitchen sink. I called Bri after my treatment around 10 - they were all still at the beach and had just gotten done surfing for like 3 hours. He said to come down to the beach and join all of them. Noa and Alika's little families were on their way so it was going to be a family day. The weather was beautiful, breezes about 5-10 mph, a little more than a gentle wind but not gusty. The sky was a highway of lolling clouds keeping the sun hidden from full heat.
I run home, load Tigris up in the car and get to the beach. The parking lot has only about 3 cars, there is no one in the water. Ya it was 11:00 am on a Weds and the waves were really small, but for the most popular break in town it was weird to not even have one stand up paddler in the water. Turns out there had just been a Tiger Shark sighting in the shallows - a dude on his stand-up said it brushed up right next to him and was bigger than his 11' board. yikes. The beach was completely empty except for our little party.
We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day - it was like we weren't even at Honoli'i, but at some private beach that you have to have a special key to access. The river that runs into the ocean was like a turquoise glass lake, and all the honus (turtles) had swam into the river, I guess to run away from the shark too so we had our own private aquarium. I lost count, but I would say that there must have been more than 20 whales right off shore too. They were jumping out of the water all day long RIGHT in front of us...and there was no one else on the beach!!! The boys (and Geana) weren't even bummed that they couldn't surf because it was flat anyways, and we could jump in the river to swim or play in the beach break. Noa went and grabbed some fried chicken, poke, sushi and teri beef (and more beer) from KTA and we had our own private beach party.
Bri and I left around 2:00pm, which means Bri was down there for more than 12 hours. I think Noa and Geana guys were going to stay until sunset. I'm sure they did!! It's really rare that the two of them get to play hookey with their 2 little girls, they deserved a day at the beach together.
It was a perfect example of the Universe opening up and giving us all exactly what we needed exactly when we needed it. What a day. No one even noticed that the boys never caught any fish.
love,
nise
I run home, load Tigris up in the car and get to the beach. The parking lot has only about 3 cars, there is no one in the water. Ya it was 11:00 am on a Weds and the waves were really small, but for the most popular break in town it was weird to not even have one stand up paddler in the water. Turns out there had just been a Tiger Shark sighting in the shallows - a dude on his stand-up said it brushed up right next to him and was bigger than his 11' board. yikes. The beach was completely empty except for our little party.
We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day - it was like we weren't even at Honoli'i, but at some private beach that you have to have a special key to access. The river that runs into the ocean was like a turquoise glass lake, and all the honus (turtles) had swam into the river, I guess to run away from the shark too so we had our own private aquarium. I lost count, but I would say that there must have been more than 20 whales right off shore too. They were jumping out of the water all day long RIGHT in front of us...and there was no one else on the beach!!! The boys (and Geana) weren't even bummed that they couldn't surf because it was flat anyways, and we could jump in the river to swim or play in the beach break. Noa went and grabbed some fried chicken, poke, sushi and teri beef (and more beer) from KTA and we had our own private beach party.
Bri and I left around 2:00pm, which means Bri was down there for more than 12 hours. I think Noa and Geana guys were going to stay until sunset. I'm sure they did!! It's really rare that the two of them get to play hookey with their 2 little girls, they deserved a day at the beach together.
It was a perfect example of the Universe opening up and giving us all exactly what we needed exactly when we needed it. What a day. No one even noticed that the boys never caught any fish.
love,
nise
