Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fallen...but not lost, and forever loved

My heart is heavy tonight...a close family friend who has fought a long and arduous fight against breast cancer let out her last breath to this world this past friday.  She was diagnosed at the same age I was when I was diagnosed - back then the treatments were limited and the results were not as great, but she fought, and fought, and SURVIVED more than 30 years.  Aunty Nan lived to watch her boys grow up into men, and then into husbands and fathers themselves.  I knew her as a Hanai Aunty that always had a smile, a good recipe, and sound advice for life as I grew up too.

Death will come to all of us at some point - it is the one thing that we can be certain of.  It is so easy to live in fear of how our death will come, and spend the better part of our lives trying to figure out how to escape the inevitable.  Or, we can face death square in the face, smile and make peace with it.  Then you are free to enjoy your days the best you know how.

The ache in my heart comes from not being able to just drop by and see Aunty Nan, give her a hug.  I breathe relief in knowing that she is no longer in pain and the fighting is over.  We may lose our loved ones to death, but it only means their physical body doesn't walk this earth anymore.  Their essence, their memories and their love live inside us and all around us for eternity.

I love you Aunty Nan...rest in peace.

love,
Denise