Saturday, November 14, 2009
Rain
I normally don't like to talk about the weather. It's a bit redundant to speak about the obvious. We can all see what's happening, it's more of a tension release than a meaningful conversation. I am, however, more than 3000 miles away from most of you and more than 5000 miles away from a lot of you. So, for those of you not living in Hawai'i, this rain is insane! It's not making me insane, I kind of like it. It's been pretty constant for the past three days. It's soothing to sleep to at night and it keeps everything nice and cool.
The rain has been keeping me from finishing the deck and prepping the house for paint, but it didn't stop me from being a little mud ball in the yard yesterday. I did a bunch of pruning in the yard last week and the fallen branches and weeds have just been lying there. So, I decided there was no better moment to clean the yard than in the rain. I had a blast. There's not too many adjectives that describe how wet and dirty I got. I felt like a kid playing in the yard. Dragging banana trees into the jungle and stumbling across huge avocados that had fallen from the trees.
I've been hearing about this path to the river in the back yard, but hadn't noticed it yet. As I was cutting some banana trees down and trimming back the Bird of Paradise I noticed a small pig trail. What else was I going to do but start my way into the jungle. I started slowly as there was a lot of over hanging vines and other plants in my way. As I made my way it started to get quiet except for the sound of the water. This may not have been the best idea as the rain made everything muddy and slick, but I was on a mission. The path started to get steep and there were a couple of big drop offs. Twenty feet, nothing that would spell the end, but a nice broken leg and all.
I made it to the river and it was as beautiful as I thought it would be. Nobody there of course except for me and the mosquitoes. I'm not sure why the mosquitoes don't bother me much here. I remember being just eaten alive in Wisconsin, but I guess my skin is a little tougher now! I stayed down there for about fifteen minutes until I realized I had to climb out now. Let's just say it was easier to get down. Gravity helps you with that one. Now I have another chore, and that's to make the path safe and easier for Denise and company. Good fishing where the river meets the ocean I hear!
It's a downpour as I leave you! This is rain.
Bri
The rain has been keeping me from finishing the deck and prepping the house for paint, but it didn't stop me from being a little mud ball in the yard yesterday. I did a bunch of pruning in the yard last week and the fallen branches and weeds have just been lying there. So, I decided there was no better moment to clean the yard than in the rain. I had a blast. There's not too many adjectives that describe how wet and dirty I got. I felt like a kid playing in the yard. Dragging banana trees into the jungle and stumbling across huge avocados that had fallen from the trees.
I've been hearing about this path to the river in the back yard, but hadn't noticed it yet. As I was cutting some banana trees down and trimming back the Bird of Paradise I noticed a small pig trail. What else was I going to do but start my way into the jungle. I started slowly as there was a lot of over hanging vines and other plants in my way. As I made my way it started to get quiet except for the sound of the water. This may not have been the best idea as the rain made everything muddy and slick, but I was on a mission. The path started to get steep and there were a couple of big drop offs. Twenty feet, nothing that would spell the end, but a nice broken leg and all.
I made it to the river and it was as beautiful as I thought it would be. Nobody there of course except for me and the mosquitoes. I'm not sure why the mosquitoes don't bother me much here. I remember being just eaten alive in Wisconsin, but I guess my skin is a little tougher now! I stayed down there for about fifteen minutes until I realized I had to climb out now. Let's just say it was easier to get down. Gravity helps you with that one. Now I have another chore, and that's to make the path safe and easier for Denise and company. Good fishing where the river meets the ocean I hear!
It's a downpour as I leave you! This is rain.
Bri
