Friday, November 20, 2009

New Cancer Screening Confusing?!%$

This week has been a bit crazy as far as the news coming out of new cancer screening guidelines.  It's got me a little upset because once again Denise completely falls out of the group they're even referring too.  Women over 40! Hello!  What about women under 40?  It just stirs up old anger of the doctors telling Denise not to worry because she's too young to have this happen.  It's just a calcium deposit or whatever thay called it.  Oh, oops, yea it is cancer, sorry for the slow response.  Yea......we're going to need to get rid of that for you now.  La di Frickin da!  No sense of urgency, no bed side manners and weeks of doing nothing just because the numbers didn't support US!

I'll say this regarding the new cancer screening.  Do whatever you want.  If you feel comfortable not going as often, then that's great.  If you would like to go as much as you do now, then don't let anyone tell you differently.  If you want to go when you're 20, then do that!  I was told that it's not necessary to get my prostate checked until I'm 50 and then every five years after that.  I laughed at the doctor and told him he has no idea.  They're all in the hands of the insurance companies.  They've probably did the numbers and realized that losing the people outside they're demographics is cheaper than paying for more tests.

This is just another reason to not trust the system!  I'm so jaded on healthcare and I don't think there's anything I can do about it.  I know on an individual basis, doctors are good and want to do good things, but to replay some of the things that they've told us just makes me mad.  Maybe it's just that we really don't have any sure treatments at this point.  Maybe it's just a light into the truth that Cancer is winning still.  I want to see everything that we know how to do being done.  We're getting that now, but maybe only because Denise is the daughter of the owner?

The message of this ramble is that you need to own the treatment of you!  Don't let anyone tell you to not do something.  Maybe it will cost a little more, but trust me, the pain of not doing it costs a lot more!  There is just no price tag high enough for me.  F it, I'll be in debt to the day I die, I don't care.  Charge me!