Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Don't come a knockin' if this Mowhak's a rockin!!

I've always been a bit of a nonconformist.  If the crowd goes left, I wander right.  If it's for boys only and girls aren't supposed to, then I have to.  I think sidewalks are for schmucks, grass was grown to walk on.  I think coloring outside the lines is pretty.  I think hot pink, neon orange, bright yellow, and electric blue make a wonderful color combination.  I know, wild one huh?

For all my daring rebel ways I had always wanted to know what it was like to shave my head but never had the stones to go through with it.  Funny how life gives you what you wish for.  Losing the hair the first time was downright traumatic.  I don't think I ever held my reflection in the mirror for more than 10 seconds until it started growing back again.  The second time wasn't so bad, but I just needed to get it over with and go back to being "that cancer chick".  But the 3rd time, I'm an old-hat at this.  So why not fulfill another rebel-desire, to have a mohawk!  It's going to fall out anyway, might as well!

I thought walking down the street with a bald head was fun...having a mohawk is just plain entertaining!  With a bald head people steal confused glances at you.  Not sure if you are an extreme naturalist, a cancer patient, a monk, or just a misguided person trying to get attention. But the mohawk - it's almost like carrying a badge of confidence with you.  People assume that you are a take-no-shit kind of confrontational person so they move out of your way!  It's hilarious!! It's a haircut!!  I'm the same person I've always been - it's the perception of what people think I am that has changed.  I'm just laughing inside because the old adage "don't judge a book by it's cover" has taken on new importance to me.  People don't ask why I have a mohawk, they assume I'm some hardass, and then I get to see what they are made off.  People with a good heart and non-judgmental mind don't treat me any differently.  People who are inherently afraid of anything different treat me like I'm about to steal their wallet.  I wouldn't want to burst their little prejudiced bubble with WHY my hair is this way.

Yes, yes, oh the fun of my social experiments.  I have to get my kicks in somehow.

Treatment #2 of the big guns chemo was today.  The next few days should be a bit rough, but nothing a little sleep and sweet kisses from Brian, or Tigris, or both won't ease.  Hopefully enough hair will hang on to my head to keep the mohawk rockin' for as long as possible.  Walking through crowds is SOOO much easier!

love,
nise